Saturday, June 18, 2016

Question & Answer with Tyler Resto

Tyler Resto
Today is Tyler Resto's birthday, so we thought that it would be a great opportunity for our readers to get to know this amazing young man a little better. Unlike many of our featured singers, his focus on being healthy and in shape comes from his diet, not from a grueling workout routine.

Tyler Resto first caught our attention as an emerging talent to watch when he was named a semi-finalist in the Presidential Scholar in the Arts program straight out of high school. He was one of only a handful of National YoungArts Foundation to be selected to spend a week in Miami to hone their skills. He was subsequently accepted to the prestigious vocal training program at the University of Cincinnati–College-Conservatory of Music.

1. Tell us about your time at the University of Cincinnati and your acceptance as an Emerging Artist at Oberlin in Italy?

CCM has been an enriching experience for me this past year. My time with my teacher, Dr. Gwen Detwiler was the pinnacle, of course. She's very good at what she does. Likewise, working with Amy Johnson and Kenneth Shaw was brilliant in the production of Maria Stuarda in the Spring. Professor Johnson was the director and Kenneth Shaw did an unfathomable list full of titles creating an amazing experience for the audience and the singers.

Tyler Resto
2. What has been your favorite performance that you've been a part of?

I look forward to returning in August to perform Mr. Gedge, the vicar in the Fall production of Britten's comedy, Albert Herring.

Last summer, I was in Arezzo studying with Joan Patenaude, Danielle Orlando, and Anna Frey to name a few in an Emerging Artist program. I studied Italian every morning for three hours and continued throughout college. I will continue studying Italian and German again next year as well. The opera, Le nozze di Figaro, was a huge success and my acting skills truly improved under the direction of Kay Castaldo who was so gracious, detailed, and insightful.

This summer, I will be attending the summer academy masterclass sessions at the Mozarteum Universität in Salzburg. I will be studying Mozart, Bel canto, and lieder with Helen Donath, Helmut Deutsch, and Rudolf Piernay. I will also be continuing my studies in Italian and German there. Those sessions will be in Salzburg for 7 weeks starting in early July and running through August.

3. We talk a lot about fitness on this site, but you stay healthy through diet. Tell us about that.

I became a vegan in January of this year through the shocking realizations of what human beings do as far as allowing the exploitation of animals, although mostly unknowingly or uninformed. Due to a conditioned culture, at least the one I was raised in, we were taught collectively that using animals for clothing, food, and entertainment is necessary, natural, and accepted; however, that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm hoping to strengthen my activism in the future.


Tyler Resto
4. Do you feel that being in shape helps you on stage with directors being more demanding?

I definitely use diet as a way to stay fit mentally and healthfully, which I consider one the most important things while training and doing a production and for a long, happy life in general. Being a vegan has helped me do this.

5. Do you have any dream roles? Favorite composers?

My ultimate dream role is Prince Yeletsky in Tchaikovsky's Queen of Spades, although I connect musically with Wagner's compositions — specifically, Tristan und Isolde, which is my favorite opera.

Tyler Resto sings Butterworth's "Is my team ploughing?"

6. How did you first find out that you were on Barihunks and what was your reaction?

I was first contacted by you for my first publication as a Barihunk and was thrilled. I didn't expect it at all! I saw the article posted on the Facebook page and was so excited to be considered a part of opera's good-looking men — which I had already been following since high school.

7. Tell us something about yourself that people would be surprised to know.

Something most people don't know about me, if they aren't close to me, is how I want to use my work. I find it ideal that the artists job is to inspire thought into their audience, and taking that a step further, I wish to incorporate charity with my work through music, such as animal rights and equality for human beings alike. For example, I would love to eventually be singing with organizations such as Sing for Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment